"Ding-dong" - no it's not Avon calling, but close. It's our Cub Scout/second grader who seems to be practicing for a job as a travelling salesman. Popcorn peddling for the Cubs has turned him into one of those people I avoid eye contact with when I enter the grocery store. You know the ones - they sell everything from cookies to candy bars or ask you to sign petitions for "good" causes. Yes, Hunter and hubby took their two assigned hours and did their duty in front of the grocery store last Saturday for the Cub Scout Popcorn Sale. Now the rest of the sales are up to Hunter. He's selling everything from chocolate covered caramel corn to microwave popcorn. So far, we're the only ones on his list,and with just two products ordered, it adds up to a good pair of shoes. Oh well, it's for a good cause, and really you can't go wrong with chocolate-caramel popcorn. I hate to tell him, but at this rate, he's not going to be the top seller who walks away with $100. The first day, he was sure that he would be the lucky one, but I'm not sure the reality of being a salesman is something that agrees with him.
The popcorn sale just kicked off on Saturday and later this week, he'll be able to add to his sales portfolio as the infamous gift wrap sale kicks off at school. The PTO sent home a letter giving parents an "out" on this fundraiser - just write a check for $55, $100 or $200 and you won't be looked down on for not turning in a full order form. How nice of them. I'm not sure what the funds actually go toward since we already pay for field trips, $120 for a school use fee, buy tickets to the carnivals, etc... On top of all of that, families are asked to eat at restaurants around town on certain nights and 10 percent of proceeds go back to the school. Do we not get state and federal support for public schools anymore? I mean, yeah, if the kids were coming home with extravagant projects or going on trips to far away places, maybe I could justify selling reams of wrapping paper, but come on, it's second grade.
I guess we better get used to it... we have two more little ones who'll one day be asking people to buy their wares. Maybe they'll sell Girl Scout cookies, it's pretty hard to say no to a Thin Mint.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
School's a scam. Join the revolution!
Hang in there.
I finally started a new blogspot. Check it out.
Post a Comment