It was a beautiful day and we were strolling down the main street of this Midwestern town where I live. We wandered into an antique mall that I had never been in before due to the fact that I usually have two small children with me and they could no doubt dismantle the entire treasure trove in two minutes. Anyway, we hadn't been in there five minutes when I saw a "FOR RENT" sign. Without hesitation, I rented said booth!
My sister asked me what in the world was I going to put into an antique booth. I had no idea, but it sounded fun! In fact, this hobby has several pros: shopping is required, it only requires a short-term commitment, I don't have to actually work at the store and you make a little play money.
I am glad to report that my booth is full, and so is our garage, but let's not talk about that as it is sort of a sore subject with my husband. The booth is doing quite well though.
Most of my buys are found at garage sales and others at thrift stores. Yes, my car could accurately have one of those trashy "This car stops at garage sales" bumper stickers on it, but it does not and will not.
I have picked up so many great buys that is hard to remember them all, but I'll tell you about a few and then I will update you in coming weeks. Please curb your enthusiasm!
Today, I picked up a couple of paintings by an artist who is well-known in the art world, but obviously not to the older couple who sold each one to me for .50 cents! I came home and checked ebay and oh my there will be a huge profit margin!
A few weeks ago, I picked up some Fiesta wear for a quarter each. I almost had to knock another woman off of my arm when she heard the man tell me how much he was selling it for, but I prevailed and sold it for $40 the next day!
It's like my own little version of the Antique Roadshow!
Here's a chair that I picked up last weekend for $1. I put $2 of material and screws into it and sold it the next day for $25.
OK, so here's the last deal of the week that I will tell you about: I went to Goodwill to look at books, not knowing anything about buying antique books except that first editions are what you want. I found one for .49 cents and decided that even if it turned out to be worthless that I wouldn't have invested too much. I got home and looked it up, and it was worth something. Get this it's on ebay for: $200!
No comments:
Post a Comment