Friday, May 18, 2007

Blue Hair & Asparagus

Strange title, yes, I know. However, it describes life at my house at the moment.
Let's start with blue hair.
About two months ago, Hunter was due for a haircut. His hair was looking shaggy and he really needed a trim. At the mention of the haircut - he threw a fit. He said he was waiting for Crazy Hair Day at school, which other students had told him about.
Fast forward one month. He really needed a haircut. There was no shape to it, but bushy. People were making comments at this point and we would quickly jump in with the Crazy Hair Day story, hoping it was really going to happen.
Two weeks later, it was unbearable to look at. I got the scissors and actually trimmed some of the edges trying to make him resemble the boy we remember.
Finally, the note came home last week: Crazy Hair Day May 18th! We made it. His hair was long enough this morning to put into a tall Mohawk, which he just had to have painted blue. His dad has said several times that this weekend the hair will go - all of it, blue and dishwater brown, but I think Hunter has grown attached to his hair. We'll see who wins this one now that "the day" has come and gone. I hope we haven't created a punk rocker!





















Now, moving on to the aforementioned asparagus. My aunt and uncle have been here for a couple of days visiting. The visit was great and much needed. I tried to get them to stay and extra day, but of course, they have manners and although we would've had fun, they didn't want to "overstay their welcome." I think she has also had company that stayed more than three days and knows how they really do stink. However, they promised that they would return. On the first afternoon of their visit, we went to the farmer's market. It was small, and evidently not anything like the weekend farmer's market, which I plan on checking out soon. While we perused the booths, we saw the most beautiful asparagus. We found out that is is grown about 15 minutes away, and you can pick it yourself for much less money.
Yesterday, we headed to the asparagus field where we were transformed into farmers. The owner took us out to the field on the tractor where we picked asparagus and he had us try raw, fresh stalks. Yummy! I've never actually seen asparagus growing, much less picked it. McKenzie was quite taken, too. Although, the dirt was much more interesting to her.
Imagine, we got to be farmers for a few minutes and were able to get back to civilization in mere minutes. I can deal with that and we'll definitely be going back for corn, beans and the other crops they offer all year. It's not the beach, but it's still cool.

No comments: