Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Old friends, snakes and who knows what else...

Hope you all had a great weekend!

Mine was pretty dandy as we played outside in between rain storms. We had some new friends come over and cook out for Memorial Day and all seemed to have a good time. Speaking of friends, I find it funny and ironic how people pop in and out of your life, some stay, some go for good and others go and then come back.

When you think back over your life, there are probably people who pop into your mind and you wonder what they are doing now. What is their life like? Are they happy? Etc...

Humor me as I go down memory lane... when I was a kid we lived in a small suburb of Dallas called Red Oak. It's where I started school and went through the 4th grade. My best friend there was named Amy. Amy and I had shirts made with those iron-on fuzzy letters that said "My best friend is Amy/Jenny." We even had these hideous purple hats that we thought were so cool, and they were because we both had one. As fate would have it, we moved and lost touch. Her birthday was the day after mine and on that day I usually would wonder where she was or what happened to her.

Last year, I found out. My dad was speaking at a church, and she was there and recognized my parents. We reconnected by email and it was great to know that she was happy. Come to find out she's a singer. I even got two of her cds and listen to them in my car.

After Red Oak, we moved two and a half hours away where sixth grade awaited me. I was so ugly and hated being the new kid at school. Jellies were the shoes to wear and I still remember what one of my friends-to-be had on the first day of school: hot pink jellies with a black shirt and pants that had a pink plaid pattern on it. (If you're reading this Jennifer, you probably got it at the Melon Seed :)) Anyway, Jennifer lived on my street and as the years went on through junior high and high school, we were friends. We went to college and lost touch. When her mom got sick with cancer a few years later, we reconnected. After her mother died, we lost touch again.

Fast forward to last week when a mutual junior high and high school friend forwarded me Jennifer's new blog. Through several long emails we're caught up and I hope don't lose touch again.

Another junior high/high school friend and I have also reconnected this year and thank goodness, she lives in this same stinking state that I do. We met for lunch soon after my arrival here and it was just like we'd seen each other yesterday. Tomorrow, we're taking our kids to the petting zoo.

It's nice to have people who knew you when, and don't hold that against you, come back into your life.

Don't get your feelings hurt, if I didn't mention you - some friends I haven't lost touch with and that's doubly nice, too. I'm blessed to have good friends - old and new!

So on to snakes - well, snake that is. I had the kids doled out today so I could work for three hours to meet deadlines. I'm working away and having great success when a little boy knocks on the door. I thought he was here to see if Hunter could play, but instead he said "there's a snake in your backyard!" Little did he know, he had just confirmed my worst fear! I screamed in panic and he didn't know what to do! I wasn't just upset that there was a snake, but that I had just let my precious dog out to go to the bathroom! I immediately had visions of the snake eating my little dog! I cried and the boy assured me that he would get the dog. He did. I was still upset. It was time to get the kids, so I drove to the babysitter and called hubby on the way. He was most unsympathetic! So, the babysitter, who could relate to my fear, had her grandson come over and kill it and dispose of it. Don't tell hubby, but I later found out from the boys who saw it that it was a grass snake and they had chased it into my yard while trying to catch it! EWWWW! I'm sure they'll never ring my bell again!

That's all...

3 comments:

nana said...

I enjoyed the memories--I am also glad I wasn't there for the snake episode-I've lived with you through too many of those! I'm sure you are going to be known by a great nickname on that block!

JJ said...

I CAN NOT believe you remember what I was wearing the first day of 6th grade. Wow. I do remember those jellies, though. Ah, the Melon Seed. I loved that place, but I always liked it better before it burned down. My dad, of all people, who really is quite the shopper and has excellent taste, bought those jellies for me at Bealls when it was still downtown. Remember how they made your feet sweat? I see they've come back in fashion, but I'm passing on those this go around. It's funny that you remember me being in style. I always think I'm wearing the wrong thing, but over the years I've received comments how I must be a clotheshorse or something because I always have the right outfit. Funny how we are always critiquing ourselves, but others see us as being just right. I also have to comment that you've never been ugly. EVER. You have always had the prettiest skin of anyone I know and wonderful cheekbones and nice plump lips. My lips are puny so I notice these things.

I also had a harrowing snake experience this weekend while we were camping, yes camping, on the Canadian River. As Clint was driving me to a "pee spot", I spotted the biggest rattlesnake I'd ever seen. Thankfully, Clint always has a gun on him (he's got a concealed handgun license) and he shot it once in the head with a Colt 45 and that was that. I have to say, I had a hard time squatting after that. He let me keep the rattler since I spotted it. yea - I guess.

I promise to stay in touch this time, if you do!

LKPheartsfood said...

I DOUBT that you were ugly. Maybe just a little awkward---God, weren't we all?? And yay for the little boy coming to the rescue and saving Weiner!